Sunday, February 14, 2010

Horse Conches and other things

Happy Valentines everyone. Here's hoping you are with loved ones and not huddled in an alley boiling heroin in a spoon like I am.

Regardless, I did some research on my shell for Life Drawing, and here is the documentation of that. My shell is a nutmeg to light tan colored Horse Conch Shell, or Pleuroploca Gigantea in unintelligible, alien languages. It is the state shell of Florida, which isn't nearly as intresting as the fact that states actually have "official" sea shells. I wonder what the state sea shell of Nevada is? Anyway, they can get up to 24 inches long. They feature a long Siphonal canal. Me and my shell

The shells are found in the shallows and can have up to 10 whoris (ridges on the spiraled top). My shell has six whoris, with knobs on its ridges (which are also called shoulders). They are orange colored when their younger, and get lighter when older, like the desaturated Salmon or tan that mine is. The heavy spiral shell is quite distinct and the detail is great. It really is no wonder why it works for our drawing studies, its completely covered with cross contoured ridges.

Its cold and snowing now, even though the sun was shinning bright when I got up. I'm listening to the dubstep/grime/drum/bass/breakbeat/disco/loungy/minimal/dark tech-beats of Breakage, Curses! and Search & Destroy. More information on this and other things forthcoming....

No comments:

Post a Comment