Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happy Fucking Cows WIP

Been in the studio drawing hard over spring break. I just finished inking my drawing III project, "Happy Fucking Cows," and am very pleased with it.
Some of my artists for the project are fairly evident. Others are not. I already mentioned Picasso and Guernica and I think my piece responds well to that inspiration. The themes of destruction and death run firmly through both works. Also both pieces reflect humanity through symbolically important animals. Picasso had a horse and I have cows.
Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't address the obvious Bacon reference. Bacon is my favorite painter. He's probably my favorite artist. I've read several books on Him. I consider His several of His premier paintings to be stylistically perfect.
You could certainly see my piece as a modern re-interpretation of Bacon's Pope series, with my satirically monstrous Governor Walker as the modern pope. Also of note, Bacon also used cows as a figurative reference representing the plight of humanity. Finally, Bacon includes a strong reference to linear perspective, which is seen throughout my perspective heavy piece.
The interesting dynamic is the sharp style contrast, which can be seen throughout both pieces. Where Bacon is traditional, I am modern. Where Bacon is implied, my work is rendered. Where Bacon had religion, I have politics.
Where Bacon had a paint-brush, I have a computer. Final piece colored piece coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment